Unrefined vs Refined Shea Butter
Shea butter in its unrefined state is not only different in appearance and smell then refined shea, but in its benefits too!
Yes, shea butter is a great moisturizer for hair and skin, but did you know about all the natural skin regenerating benefits that are you can get when you use unrefined shea butter?
Benefits of Unrefined Shea Butter
- Acts as a barrier against moisture loss.
- Naturally contains Vitamins A, E, F and K.
- Has Fatty Acids for retaining skin elasticity and moisture.
- Is a great natural UV protectant (natural SPF 6)
- Has anti-inflammatory properties that support skin cells and protects against infection an irritation.
So how do you tell the difference between refined/unrefined shea butter? The best way to tell the difference is by the color. Shea butter in its unrefined state has a light yellow/cream color and a natural nutty scent. When you refine it, you remove the color and scent, making it white in color.
At GreenSistah™ Botanicals, you don’t have to worry – we never use refined shea butter in any of our products. Our shea butter is unrefined, including our whipped AromaShea body butters and the shea used in our hair food, Sheajoba®.