Three Benefits of Shea Butter
What are the benefits of Shea Butter? Let’s start with what shea butter is, other than the obvious, it’s AMAZING, ;)!!! Shea butter is fat that’s extracted from the nuts of the shea tree in West Africa. It has been used in cosmetics for centuries because of its vitamins, fatty acids and natural properties.
Here at GreenSistah™ Botanicals, it is a staple ingredient in many of our products including our #1 product, Sheajoba® New Growth because of the many benefits it has.
So, what are some of the benefits of Shea? While there are probably dozens, we are going to focus on three today.
- It is a great moisturizer for both hair/skin. Shea butter, because if it’s fatty acid content is rapidly absorbed into your skin/scalp and acts as a “refatting” agent to restore lipids, which restores the barrier between your skin/scalp and the outside environment. AKA – more moisture, less dryness. Bonus: Two of the fatty acids, linoleic and oleic, balance each other making it is easy for your skin to absorb it without leaving your skin looking too oily after you apply it.
- The Two A’s: Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant
- Anti-Inflammatory: Studies show that when applied to the skin, shea butter some inflammatory cells, slowing down their production. This may be helpful with irritation caused by dry weather or inflammatory skin conditions, like eczema.
- Antioxidant: Shea butter natural contains high levels of Vitamins A and E, which are antioxidants. Antioxidants are great to prevent another A, anti-aging.
- It may reduce hair breakage and scalp irritation. We know that shea butter is a great moisturizer…and our hair texture needs moisture, or it will become dry and break off. It also absorbs into the scalp quickly, which not only helps with keeping your scalp moisturized but also may help with scalp irritation and flare-ups.
While shea butter is naturally high in fatty acids, antioxidants and other properties that are beneficial to skin and hair, these benefits decrease when shea butter is refined. At GreenSistah™ Botanicals, we use unrefined shea butter in our products to try and preserve all the amazing goodness shea offers naturally.
With all the great benefits of Shea Butter, it’s no surprise that our best sellers have shea butter in them.
- Sheajoba® New Growth has a base of shea butter and along with other ingredients, it’s unique formula has been helping decrease hair breakage and retain a healthy, thick head of hair since 1999.
- AromaShea Whipped Body Butters are a great moisturizer, especially for hands and feet. It gives you a skin glow, without leaving an oily residue.
- Many of our natural soap bars have shea butter in them, which may help leave your skin less dry and irritated after a shower/bath.