Beauty is Holistic
The concept of Holistic Beauty takes an approach that is inclusive of the wholeness of you, the mind, body spirit connection. It goes well beyond makeup and hair care brands, and cultural standards, and celebrity endorsements. We all possess true beauty. While there are times you may not feel beautiful because you are tired, your skin is dull, hair is shedding, and your eyes are puffy. You have the power to change that without outside influence. Elegance and beauty go beyond the limits of the eyes; it encompasses all of you. Beauty doesn't come from a product in a fancy bottle that smells awesome. Although those things have their place, true beauty considers the overall health of your entire being. In other words, beauty is more than skin deep.
The following list is what I deem crucial elements to attaining and maintaining the fullness of beauty. Daily practice of which will allow your beauty to shine through. The following is what I call 5 Essential steps to Holistic Radiance.
- Sleep (lack of or plenty) has a significant effect on our health. and beauty. Often we think of sleep as a by the way at the end of the day. Adequate sleep, however, has to be on your schedule like work, kids, and other pertinent events of the day. Set a clock to schedule your sleep time just as you do for rising in the morning.
- Eat Whole Foods- This may take some getting used to because fast and convenient is just too tempting to pass up. However, fast and convenient is usually not the healthiest choice. Processed foods are laden with chemicals that bombard your overworked immune system. You cannot control the toxic chemicals in the air and water, but you can intake healthy and clean foods. Whole grains, fresh fruit, vegetables, and easily digestible proteins are requirements of a healthy body. Reducing chemicals and synthetic ingredients in your food choices will reduce bloating, dry skin, thinning hair, puffy eyes, and help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Be Kind- Kindness is a fruit of the spirit. (Gal 5:22) Radiating beauty is so much more than a pretty face or beautiful thick hair. When that pretty face embellishes a smile or a kind eye gesture, it's striking and magical. Proper rest and a good diet will go a long way in your mood and the energy you project onto others.
- Move your Limbs- that sounds better than exercise, right. I know you have heard it before, but it's crucial. Your arms, legs, and hips have to move. Exercise helps your body to eliminate toxins and improve circulation. Walking, swimming, running, yoga, whatever your preference, move. You know the slogan, "Just Do It."
- Discover and Live Your Truth- What do you want out of life? What's fun for you? What desires are you suppressing? If time and money were not a factor, how would you spend your time? Allocate a few minutes a day, preferably first thing in the morning, and ponder those questions. Be honest with yourself. Find a way to get yourself amid your truth. Move away from cultural obligations and expectations and get to know/do you. You have a purpose, my Sistah, and only you get to decide what that is. Furthermore, you are worthy of the joy and fulfillment your truth brings.
In closing, a healthy body and a smile are the best makeup a Queen can wear. Only the woman in the mirror can change or define you.
Willette Monk (AKA) The OG
Licensed Holistic Esthetician and Founder, greensistahbotanicals.com